India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C51) has successfully launched Amazonia-1 along with 18 co-passenger satellites on February 28, 2021, from Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota.
After a flight of about 17 minutes 23 seconds, the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle injected the Amazonia-1 into its intended orbit, and in the succeeding 1 hour 38 minutes, all the 18 co-passenger satellites were successfully separated from the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle in a predetermined sequence.
The 18 co-passenger satellites onboard PSLV-C51 include four from IN-SPACe and fourteen from NSIL. Out of four satellites from IN-SPACe, three were UNITYsats designed and built as a joint development by
- Sriperumbudur (JITsat),
- Nagpur (GHRCEsat),
- Jeppiaar Institute of Technology,
- G.H.Raisoni College of Engineering, and
- Sri Shakti Institute of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore (Sri Shakthi Sat) and
- One was Satish Dhawan Sat (SDSAT) from Space Kidz India.
* The fourteen satellites from NSIL carried were the commercial satellites from India (1) and the USA (13).
Short note on Amazonia-1
Amazonia-1 is the optical earth observation satellite of the National Institute for Space Research (INPE).
Purpose of Amazonia-1:
This satellite would further strengthen the existing structure by
- providing remote sensing data to users for monitoring deforestation in the Amazon region and
- analysis of diversified agriculture across the Brazilian territory
- PSLV-C51/Amazonia-1 is the first dedicated commercial mission of NewSpace India Limited (NSIL)
- NSIL is a Government of India company under the Department of Space.
- PSLV-C51 is the 53rd flight of PSLV and the 3rd flight of PSLV in the ‘DL’ configuration (with two strap-on motors).
- This was the 78th launch vehicle mission from SDSC SHAR, Sriharikota.
- With the Amazonia-1 launch, the total number of customer satellites from foreign countries that were placed in orbit by PSLV is 342 satellites from 34 countries.
- Vikram Sarabhai is the father of Indian space program.
1. What is Amazonia-1?
2. Why are foreign countries looking to India for Satellite launches?
3. Write a short note: PSLV v/s GSLV
4. Where is National Institute for Space Research?
5. Where is Satish Dhawan Space Centre?