- India launched the family planning program way back in 1952 and it had become the first country in the world to do so.
- First National population policy, 1976- Legal minimum age of marriage from 15 to 18yrs for females and 18 to 21yrs for males.
The National Population Policy 2000 is uniformly applicable in the entire country. It has the long-term objective of achieving a zero growth rate of the population by 2045, at a level consistent with the requirements of
- sustainable economic growth,
- social development, and
- environmental protection
Why do we need a stable population growth?
- To reap dividends as well as utilize resources sustainably as there are not enough resources to feed such a huge population. This would lead to the problem of nutrition as insufficient nutrition leads to the widespread issues of malnourishment.
- Sanitation and health are compromised and it is also difficult to provide healthcare facilities to such a huge population.